Monday, August 17, 2015

Pressure Cooker Sausage & Peppers

I cannot remember the last weekend where I didn't have at least one meal out. As a single person with no kids, that is almost unheard of...

(Okay, I didn't even finish typing that sentence before I remembered that I had Chipotle for lunch on Saturday, but that doesn't really count. I have Chipotle every Saturday for lunch. No rice, no beans, veggies, chicken, pico, salsa, little bit of sour cream, little bit of cheese, guacamole.)

Every weekend, I cook. Sometimes BFF comes over on Saturday and we eat and watch HBO shows. Or I just cook for the next week's meals. Either way, there is almost always some cooking happening. Saturday night after church, I made sausage with peppers and Parmesan cheese potato chips. I have never been able to get the right consistency with potato chips and these were no different. Bleh. Not good.

For the sausage and peppers, I used this recipe as my starter. I rarely 100% follow a recipe but this time I wasn't too far off. It is hatch chili season in Texas (yay!) and they are all over the place at Central Market. In addition to some mild Italian sausage links, I picked up some hatch chili sausage as well.

For peppers, I used one green bell, one red bell, one orange bell and four hatch chilies. I sliced them in big chunks and threw them into my pressure cooker. (I was so scared of pressure cookers for so long, now I'm in love!) Then I diced up three good sized tomatoes and added them to the pot. I know hard core paleo folks would make their own sauce...I did not. I just made sure it was gluten free so I didn't poison BFF and put that in there too. I added some water, 2 heaping tablespoons of minced garlic, some oregano, some lemon pepper and dried basil.

I put the sausage on top and let her rip! It was delicious. If you are gluten free as opposed to paleo, I would highly recommend serving it over rice. While the flavor is on point, it does seem to be missing something without it. But, such is life.

 Even though the potatoes were a bust, we enjoyed the sausage and peppers while we caught up on Veep and watched a little gymnastics.

My new favorite snack is Honey Cinnamon Nut Thins. OMG. I have to be careful or I will eat too many, but they are perfect to quell my sweet tooth without going off the rails.

For my weekly prep, I bought a rotisserie chicken from Kroger and took it off the bone. I will have some of it each morning along with a boiled egg. I have some pepper jack cheese slices if I feel like I need a little fat.

For my open lunches and dinners, I have the leftover sausage and peppers. Additionally, I bought some hatch chili pork burgers. I cooked those up yesterday so they are easily reheated during the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment