Friday, August 14, 2015

HG Sply Co

My favorite "go to" restaurant in Dallas is HG Sply Co. Yes, the name makes it sound like you could walk out with fertilizer and chicken feed, but pay no mind. You are in for a treat! This place is a mecca for gluten free and/or paleo diners.


Food & Drink

The drinks are fantastical! They infuse their own liquors, like beet-infused tequila. I also seem to recall that they have a vanilla infused bourbon in the fall. Yum!

 Then there is the food. The dinner menu is a little more extensive than the lunch menu, but they are similar. BFF & I almost always share the hummus. It comes with bacon, people! You dip the crispy bacon INTO the hummus. **drooling** The hummus itself is delicious as well and it comes with a variety of veggies instead of just the old standbys like carrots and celery.

Almost everything on the menu is gluten free or can be made that way. They have gluten free buns for the burgers and BFF gets them a lot. I got the bratwurst once and while it was good, it wasn't something I would probably get again. A rare "eh" for me here. The burgers and club are way better in my opinion.

To me, however, their specialties are their bowls. They have a lot of choices, but you can always build your own. I used to get the brisket, but I'm not even sure they serve it anymore.

My "go to" bowl is the duck confit with sweet potato hash. I alternate between broccoli with bacon and lemon & garlic roasted brussels sprouts. I usually skip the topper but spring for an egg (over easy, of course) on top. Seriously one of my favorite things on the planet.

I have been to HG many times and have taken a variety of people. Healthy and non-healthy eaters alike always sing its praises.

Non-food Related

The service is always top-notch. The waitstaff can help with drink or food ideas. I've never been let down with their service.

The atmosphere is great as well! There is a small patio and a roof top, plus there is a large roll-up window at the front that they will open during nice weather. Lower Greenville has a great vibe and is good for people watching.

Eating out in Dallas can be expensive. Eating healthy can be expensive. HG Sply Co is totally reasonable, although if you do start drinking (as with anywhere) it can add up.

The biggest con about HG Sply Co is the wait. Unless you plan way ahead of time, it is hard to get reservations. It is not at all uncommon for there to be a two hour wait during peak times. BFF & I often go early, before the crowd (we can fit in with the blue hairs sometimes, for sure) or make a random reservation way in advance. In fact, I just did that this week. I have a GNO coming up in October and we put dinner at HG on the books already.

The only other con is the traffic. While Lower Greenville is fun, the traffic is terrible. Parking is sparse. You can be stuck in an Uber 2 blocks away for 10 minutes. That is just the nature of the area though. To me, this is one place that makes the trouble worth it.

Food:  5 stars

Atmosphere:  5 stars
Service:  5 stars
Gluten Free Options:  5 stars

Perfect score! (I told you it was my favorite.)


1 comment: